HISTORIC LANDMARK COMMISSION WEDNESDAY, December 4th, 2024 – 6:00 PM City Hall – Council Chambers 301 W. 2nd Street Austin, TX 78701 Some members of the Commission may be participating by videoconference. The meeting may be viewed online at: http://www.austintexas.gov/page/watch-atxn-live. Public comment will be allowed in-person or remotely via telephone. Speakers may only register to speak on an item once either in-person or remotely and will be allowed up to three minutes to provide their comments. Registration no later than noon the day before the meeting is required for remote participation by telephone. To register to speak remotely, email preservation@austintexas.gov or call Sam Fahnestock at (512) 974-3393. COMMISSION MEMBERS: Ben Heimsath, Chair x Roxanne Evans, Vice Chair x Kevin Koch x Carl Larosche ab Trey McWhorter x x x ab x ab Harmony Grogan Jaime Alvarez Raymond Castillo JuanRaymon Rubio Tara Dudley DRAFT MINUTES CALL TO ORDER PUBLIC COMMUNICATION: GENERAL The first (10) speakers who register to speak no later than noon the day before the meeting will be allowed a three-minute allotment to address their concerns regarding items not posted on the agenda. APPROVAL OF MINUTES 1. November 6, 2024 – Offered for consent approval. 1 MOTION: Approve the minutes per passage of the consent agenda on a motion by Commissioner Koch. Commissioner McWhorter seconded the motion. Vote: 7-0. The motion passed. BRIEFINGS 2. Briefing on the Congress Avenue Urban Design Initiative Presenter: Laura Dierfield CONSENT/CONSENT POSTPONEMENT AGENDA Historic Zoning Applications 3. C14H-2024-0103 – 1308 Springdale Rd. Council District 1 Proposal: Commission-initiated historic zoning. (Postponed November 6, 2024) Applicant: HLC City Staff: Kalan Contreras, Historic Preservation Office, 512-974-2727 Staff Recommendation: Grant the applicant’s request to postpone the public hearing to January 8, 2025. MOTION: Postpone the public hearing to January 8, 2025, per passage of the consent postponement agenda, on a motion by Commissioner Koch. Commissioner Rubio seconded the motion. Vote: 7-0. The motion passed. Historic Landmark and Local Historic District Applications 4. HR-2024-095142 – 2504 Bridle Path Culberson House Council District 10 Proposal: Addition, new doors and windows, new cabana, new siding. (Postponed November 6, 2024) Applicant: Minnie Webb City Staff: Austin Lukes, Historic Preservation Office, 512-978-0766 Staff Recommendation: Grant the applicant’s request to postpone the public hearing to January 8, 2025. MOTION: Postpone the public hearing to January 8, 2025, per passage of the consent postponement agenda, on a motion by Commissioner Koch. Commissioner Rubio seconded the …
HISTORIC LANDMARK COMMISSION PERMITS IN NATIONAL REGISTER HISTORIC DISTRICTS JANUARY 8, 2025 HR-2024-163092 OLD WEST AUSTIN NATIONAL REGISTER HISTORIC DISTRICT 2426 HARTFORD ROAD 13.0 – 1 PROPOSAL Construct a single-family house. PROJECT SPECIFICATIONS DESIGN STANDARDS Construct an approximately 3,400 square foot, 2-story single-family detached house on a non-contributing property in the Old West Austin Historic District. The City of Austin’s Historic Design Standards (March 2021) are based on the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation and are used to evaluate projects in National Register districts. The following standards apply to the proposed project: Residential new construction 1. Location Proposed house is set back from the street an equal amount from its neighbors and other contributing properties in the district. 2. Orientation The front entry is facing the street, like other houses in the district. 3. Scale, massing, and height Numerous houses in the district, especially in this section of the neighborhood, are two-stories in height. Site elevation changes are also common. The two-story design of this project fits well along the street, which has seen several new construction projects as well. 4. Proportions The proportions of the new construction fit with surrounding contributing buildings. 5. Design and style As new construction, the proposed design does not contain elements reminiscent of a particular style, and generally fades into the surroundings amongst contributing buildings. 6. Roofs The roof design is complex and features numerous hips and gable ends. However, the dominant roof shape is a large, hipped form that is set at an appropriate pitch. 7. Exterior walls Stucco clads the entirety of the design, which is appropriate for the neighborhood. 8. Windows and doors Windows have been simplified from original designs in order to make the sizes and dimensions more uniform. There are a few cases of paired windows that create a complete appearance rather than windows of different sizes floating at different heights. 9. Porches A second-floor balcony has been added to the most recent designs, which visually breaks up the verticality of the main entry area. 11. Attached garages and carports Attached garage is accessed by a side dead-end street. Summary The project meets the applicable standards. 13.0 – 2 PROPERTY EVALUATION COMMITTEE FEEDBACK The property does not contribute to the Old West Austin National Register district. Reduce the appearance of the front entry section of the house, such as replacing the front gable with a hipped roof …
14 – 1 HISTORIC LANDMARK COMMISSION DEMOLITION AND RELOCATION PERMITS JANUARY 8, 2025 DA-2024-088952; GF-2024-147530 8401 HATHAWAY DRIVE PROPOSAL ARCHITECTURE Demolish a ca. 1952 school and associated outbuildings. A 1960 Statesman article describes architect J. Roy White’s design for Burnet Middle School, then Lanier Junior High School, in detail: The sprawling, modern school will contain 49 teaching stations…on a 25-acre site, properly oriented for adequate cross- ventilation in all areas. A feature of the plan involves the gymnasium stage which can be viewed from [the] interior…or from a large outdoor courtyard…classroom areas can be locked off making it accessible for school and community use at night. An off-street driveway…allows students to be discharged under covered passageways…the administrative office is centrally located with the cafeteria and gymnasium on one side and three classroom wings on the other. These parallel wings are connected by covered walkways which create four courtyards. The first of the classroom wings is two-storied…the design of the school is contemporary with the exterior red face brick with aluminum windows and doors…The sloping, gabled roof was designed to give the school a homelike feeling, blending with the residential neighborhood.1 RESEARCH As Austin’s postwar population swelled and suburban neighborhoods crept northwards during the mid-twentieth century, new schools were required for the next generation of Northwest Austinites. This demographic and development change ushered in a new wave of Modern designs by innovative architects taking advantage of new technologies and design sensibilities, often on sprawling new campuses. David G. Burnet Junior High School, originally Sidney Lanier Junior High School, was designed by noted Austin architect J. Roy White during his tenure at Kuehne, Brooks, and Barr (later Brooks, Barr, Graeber, and White). Cottingham and Hale Engineers completed the structural design, and B. L. McGee was the general contractor. The school was contracted by AISD in 1960 and was initially intended to house both junior and senior high school students until a larger school could be built to relieve crowded McCallum High. When Lanier High School, designed by Fehr and Granger, was completed in 1966, 8401 Hathaway Drive became Burnet Junior High. Primary architect J. Roy White graduated from the University of Texas in 1929 and practiced in Austin until his retirement in the 1980s. White’s work often focused on institutional and civic buildings: he designed the original Austin Public Library in 1933 as part of Kuehne, Brooks, and Barr, and worked for …
HISTORIC LANDMARK COMMISSION DEMOLITION AND RELOCATION PERMITS JANUARY 8, 2025 PR-2024-159111; GF-2024-161861 1606 GARDEN STREET 15.0 – 1 PROPOSAL Demolish a ca. 1912 house. ARCHITECTURE Described in the 2016 East Austin historic resource survey as a house built with National Folk style influences, the property at 1606 Garden Street is a single-story L-shaped house with a steeply pitched front gable roof facing the street. To the right of the gable, which covers one arm of the L-shape is the front door, which is likely in the place of a previously enclosed porch which has been converted to an interior room. Two replacement 9/9 windows are present at the front façade. At the peak of the front gable is a circular attic vent. The walls of the entire house are clad in horizontal wood siding, which is in good condition. The foundation of the house is elevated on pier-and-beam, which is covered by a concrete skirt. RESEARCH Since its construction in 1912, the property has had numerous owners and renters who resided there. From its construction until at least 1935, Louis and Emily Peters owned the house, and Louis worked as a driver and salesman at various local companies, often in the oil industry. After being vacant or occupied by renter in the 1940s, the house was owned by Pablo and Maria Melendez, followed by Juan and Guadalupe Delgado, and finally by Frank and Fannie Estrada. All of these occupants worked locally, with the Frank Estrada working as a driver and mechanic, much like Louis Peters. Though there were several families that occupied the house whose stories contributed to the general themes and population living in East Austin, there was never a long-term owner of the property after it was vacated by the Peters family. PROPERTY EVALUATION The 2016 East Austin Historic Resource Survey recommends the property as contributing resource to either a potential National Register district or local historic district. Designation Criteria—Historic Landmark 1) The building is more than 50 years old. 2) The building appears to retain moderate-to-high integrity. 3) Properties must meet two criteria for landmark designation (LDC §25-2-352). Staff has evaluated the property and determined that it does not meet two criteria: a. Architecture. The building is a good example of the National Folk style. b. Historical association. The property does not appear to have significant historical associations. c. Archaeology. The property was not evaluated for its …
HISTORIC LANDMARK COMMISSION DEMOLITION AND RELOCATION PERMITS JANUARY 8, 2025 DA 2024-165526; GF-2024-165917 2600 EAST MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. BOULEVARD 16 – 1 PROPOSAL ARCHITECTURE RESEARCH Demolish a ca. 1972 auxiliary hospital building to construct a new mixed-use development. The Capital Area Research and Radiation Center building is a one-story Mid-century Modern health service facility designed by Page, Southerland, and Page and constructed by J. C. Evans Co. The building is horizontally oriented, with a dramatic carport extension at the Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard elevation and a largely windowless street presence. It is concrete with applied stucco. Concrete walls seven feet thick and ceilings four feet thick were engineered to shield physicians and technicians from the radiation equipment within. Holy Cross Hospital, the first hospital to allow Black doctors in Austin, was originally constructed on East 11th Street in 1940 to address the burgeoning disparity in care between black and white hospitals in segregation-era Austin. It was relocated to East 19th Street—now Martin Luther King, Jr., Boulevard—in 1951. The new hospital was designed by Charles Henry Page, who would later help to found Page, Southerland, and Page.1 Though the main hospital was demolished in 1991 and replaced by Campbell Elementary School, its site received a Texas Historical Commission marker in 2021, an effort spearheaded by historian and Rogers-Washington-Holy Cross resident Berri McBride. “At the time,” recounts McBride in an interview with WhatOnceWas.org, “it was the only major hospital where African Americans could receive medical services that were affordable. But at the same time, the services provided by the hospital were complete, they were thorough, and they were first rate provided by superb doctors, including African American doctors.”2 As desegregation slowly took hold in the city, Holy Cross further distinguished itself as a progressive establishment by earning grants for new hospital buildings, innovative treatments, and cutting-edge equipment. In 1965, Page, Southerland, and Page designed the hospital’s iconic five-story circular nursing facility. The separate cancer center, operated by the Capital Area Research and Radiation Foundation and also designed by Page, was approved for installation five years later following the approval of federal funding for a regional radiation facility in Austin. The new cancer center, first called the Regional Research and Radiation Center and then renamed Capital Area Research and Radiation Center, was selected to house Central Texas’s first cobalt-60 radiotherapy device and a linear accelerator designed to treat deep tumors with …
TRACT 1: LOT 2, HOLY CROSS NORTH, A SUBDIVISION IN TRAVIS COUNTY, TEXAS, ACCORDING TO THE MAP OR PLAT THEREOF, RECORDED IN VOLUME 89, PAGE 13 OF THE PLAT RECORDS OF TRAVIS COUNTY, TEXAS. | JOB NO: 15628 TRACT 2: EASEMENT ESTATE AS CREATED AND DEFINED BY EASEMENT AGREEMENT DATED FEBRUARY 20, 1990, RECORDED IN VOLUME 11127, PAGE 1006 OF THE REAL PROPERTY RECORDS OF TRAVIS COUNTY, TEXAS, AND AMENDED BY DRAWN: RDG VOLUME 11499, PAGE 1016, OF SAID REAL PROPERTY RECORDS, AND BEING OVER AND ACROSS LOT. 1, HOLY CROSS NORTH, A SUBDIVISION IN TRAVIS COUNTY, TEXAS, ACCORDING TO THE MAP OR PLAT THEREOF, RECORDED IN VOLUME 89, PAGE 13 OF THE PLAT RECORDS OF TRAVIS COUNTY, TEXAS. F.C... CC/JT I T 3: RIGHT OF WAY EASEMENT AS CREATED AND DEFINED BY EASEMENT AGREEMENT DATED AUGUST 9, 1991, RECORDED IN VOLUME 11499, PAGE 1036 OF THE REAL PROPERTY RECORDS OF TRAVIS COUNTY, TEXAS, AND BEING A 0.067 ACRE TRACT OUT OF LOT 1, HOLY CROSS NORTH, A SUBDIVISION IN TRAVIS COUNTY, TEXAS, ACCORDING TO THE MAP OR PLAT THEREOF, RECORDED IN VOLUME 89, PAGE 13 OF THE PLAT RECORDS OF TRAVIS COUNTY, TEXAS. LOT 1 LEGEND HOLY CROSS NORTH . ® 1/27 IRON ROD NO CAP FOUND VOLUME 89, PAGE 13, (UncEss OTHERWISE NOTED) 1/2" IRON ROD SET W/PLASTIC Scale: 17 = 30’ P.R.T.C. < CAP STAMPED "TLS INC.” FENCE POST BEARINGS CITED HEREON BASED ON oh Try SOLE TEXAS STATE PLANE COORDINATE « GUY ANCHOR SYSTEM, NORTH AMERICAN DATUM PAVED PARKING LOT : ——XX~—| CHAIN LINK FENCE 1983/93, TEXAS CENTRAL ZONE. Elmo ELECTRIC 4 TELEPHONE LINES omic | DEED RECORDS OF TRAVIS o 10° WIDE WASTEWATER LINE EASEMENT COUNTY, TEXAS IL = TL VOLUME 11127, PAGE 999 & - oprrc.| OFFICIAL PUBLIC RECORDS OF ; ro Nh VOLUME 11499, PAGE 1018, R.P.R.T.C. a. C1 TRAVIS COUNTY, TEXAS // ‘ Me = orc. | PLAT RECORDS OF TRAVIS 3/8" IRON ROD FOUND _| COUNTY, TEXAS ya WALL RECORD INFORMATION AIR_CONDITIONER ELECTRIC GAS METER LIGHT POLE LIGHT MANHOLE SIGN (EXPLAIN) HANDICAP PARKING SIGN IRON FENCED COVERED AREA CONC. CURB PUMP PIAL) TRANSFORMER GENERATOR WATER METER WATER VALVE CONC. | CONCRETE ROW. | RIGHT-OF-WAY N orto lee : A "SCHOOL ZONE” IRON FENCED COVERED AREA 1.3" 1.0" 8. 1.3" Pr ro ot , . 4 4 - k£d b 24 148 S\N DETAIL "A CONC. WALL & 1.0" 3 Scale: 17 …
From: To: Subject: Date: Historic Preservation Office Against Review Case DA 24-165526 Monday, December 30, 2024 2:14:19 PM You don't often get email from . Learn why this is important External Email - Exercise Caution Dear Sam Fahnestock, I am writing to submit comments for the Historic Landmark Commission, regarding Review Case DA 24-165526 for the commission's consideration in advance of the January 8, 2025 meeting when this case will be discussed. I am a resident living within 500 feet of 2600 E. MLK Jr Blvd., which is the subject of DA 24-165526. I am AGAINST the proposed demolition of this building, which is the last surviving structure associated with the Holy Cross Hospital, the city’s first hospital for Black patients that was recently granted a historical marker through the Texas Historic Commission's Undertold Markers program (https://austin.towers.net/marking-the-medical-history-of-east-austin-at-holy-cross- hospital/). Preservation of this structure would honor the significant cultural history that it represents, while also building on the efforts of the immediately adjacent Rogers Washington Holy Cross Historic District in demonstrating the determination and success of the African American community in Austin. I am also concerned about broader plans for the development of this property following demolition, as this permit is one part of a proposal that involves converting the property from civic to mixed use zoning, including density bonuses (Zoning case C14-2024-0111 / Plan Amendment case NPA-2024-0008.01). The preservation of this structure would maintain a street-facing scale and style that is compatible with and complimentary to the adjacent historic residential neighborhoods, as well as other historically significant structures along this stretch of MLK, including David Chapel Missionary Baptist Church, the Della Phillips House, and Fuller-Sheffield Funeral Home--all located less than 500 feet on either side of the property, and characterized by horizontal massing and low slung roofs similar to the style of this structure. Maintaining the stylistic features of the surrounding area at this particular, prominent corner is important and meaningful for this community's and our city's identity. Thank you for your attention to these concerns and consideration of protecting this culturally and historically significant structure. Sincerely, Bridget Ground 1806 Cedar Avenue CAUTION: This is an EXTERNAL email. Please use caution when clicking links or opening attachments. If you believe this to be a malicious or phishing email, please report it using the "Report Message" button in Outlook. For any additional questions or concerns, contact CSIRT at "cybersecurity@austintexas.gov".
2022 AISD Bond Program Educational Facilities More than 50 Years Old Presentation to the Historic Landmark Commission January 8, 2025 1 Presentation Overview • Goals • Describe purpose and drivers of 2022 AISD Bond Program • Provide background for HLC evaluations of demolition permit requests • Communicate significant schedule constraints: Construction and school opening delays affects student needs and voter’s intentions • Agenda • 2022 Bond Program Planning Process • Governing Rules and Regulations for HLC evaluation of demolition permits • Schedule Implications • 2022 Bond Program Summary for schools > 50 years of age 2022 AISD Bond Program 2 Bond Development Process 2022 AISD Bond Program 3 2022 Bond Planning Process • Begun in 2021 with Facilities Condition Assessments (FCA). During this process, AISD also conducted an Educational Suitability Assessment (ESA) at each facility. • • 25 schools had an FCA score of unsatisfactory or very unsatisfactory 8 schools had an ESA score of unsatisfactory or very unsatisfactory. • Along with the facility assessments, the district’s Long-range Planning (LRP) efforts continued through the formation of the LRP Committees. AISD collaborated with 7 planning committees made up of district staff, • student, parents, and community members, representing different segments of the community. AISD used a decision-making framework known as Equity by Design to prioritize projects based on the data collected. The LRP strategies identified for potential bond funding were given to the Bond Steering Committee (BSC), which was formed in February 2022. • • • The BSC used the district’s Long-range Plans, FCA and ESA scores, bond capacity, and other relevant information to create a recommended package for review by the superintendent and board of trustees, and ultimately the voters. 2022 AISD Bond Program 4 Facilities Condition Assessment (FCA) • Evaluates the physical condition of a facility to measure what systems are broken, aging, etc. • Includes items such as roofing, heating & air conditioning, plumbing, electrical, site drainage, and parking. • A low score indicates unsatisfactory facility condition while a high score indicates satisfactory condition. • Site Civil, Crawlspace Area, and Interior Architecture are the worst scoring categories. • On average, Site Civil scored unsatisfactory - 82 schools scored unsatisfactory or worse. • There is no correlation between facility condition and neighborhood vulnerability or proportion of historically underserved student groups. 2022 AISD Bond Program 5 Facilities Condition Assessment (FCA) 2022 AISD Bond Program 6 Educational Suitability Assessment (FCA) …
ZONING CHANGE REVIEW SHEET CASE NUMBER: C14H-2024-0171 HLC DATE: January 8, 2025 PC DATE: CC Date: APPLICANT: Hayes & Jessica Barnard, owners HISTORIC NAME: Elton & Lucy Perry House WATERSHED: Lady Bird Lake, Shoal Creek ADDRESS OF PROPOSED ZONING CHANGE: 610 Baylor St. ZONING CHANGE: MF-4-HD-NP to MF-4-H-HD-NP COUNCIL DISTRICT: 9 STAFF RECOMMENDATION: Staff recommends the proposed zoning change from Multifamily- moderate density-historic district -neighborhood plan (MF-4-HD-NP) combining district to Multifamily- moderate density-historic district-historic landmark-neighborhood plan (MF-4-HD-H-NP) combining district. QUALIFICATIONS FOR LANDMARK DESIGNATION: architecture, community value, and historical associations. HISTORIC LANDMARK COMMISSION ACTION: PLANNING COMMISSION ACTION: CITY COUNCIL ACTION: CASE MANAGER: Austin Lukes, 512-978-0766 NEIGHBORHOOD ORGANIZATIONS: Austin Independent School District, Austin Lost and Found Pets, Austin Neighborhoods Council, Friends of Austin Neighborhoods, Homeless Neighborhood Association, Neighborhood Empowerment Foundation, Old West Austin Neighborhood Association, Old West Austin Neighborhood Plan Contact Team, Preservation Austin, SELTexas, Save Historic Muny District, Save Our Springs Alliance, Shoal Creek Conservancy, Sierra Club, Austin Regional Group DEPARTMENT COMMENTS: The property at 610 Baylor Street is listed as contributing to both the West Line Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places and the City of Austin’s Castle Hill Local Historic District. BASIS FOR RECOMMENDATION: § 25-2-352(3)(c)(i) Architecture. The property embodies the distinguishing characteristics of a recognized architectural style, type, or method of construction; exemplifies technological innovation in design or construction; displays high artistic value in representing ethnic or folk art, architecture, or construction; represents a rare example of an architectural style in the city; serves as an outstanding example of the work of an architect, builder, or artisan who significantly contributed to the development of the city, state, or nation; possesses cultural, historical, or architectural value as a particularly fine or unique example of a utilitarian or vernacular structure; or represents an architectural curiosity or one-of-a-kind building. The Perry House, along with its neighbor at 608 Baylor, which was built by the same owners, is set at a high elevation overlooking downtown Austin. Constructed in 1903 of masonry and standing two-and-a- half stories tall, the residence would have been visible from a distance upon its completion. It embodies the Queen Anne style, with details such as Palladian gable windows and ornate brackets enhancing the grand wraparound porches on two floors, as well as the grand stair up from the street level to the main entry. The pyramidal roof is set at a moderate-to-steep pitch, which creates …
City of Austin - Historic Preservation Office Historic Zoning Application Packet General Overview Historic zoning is a zoning overlay which is added to the base zoning of a specific tract of land (for example CBD-H denotes Central Business District-Historic Zoning). To qualify for City Historic Landmark status, a property must meet one or more (but typically five or more) of the local historic criteria (see criteria below). Applicants need to submit historical documentation demonstrating how the property meets these criteria (see attached submittal requirements). The City Historic Landmark Commission reviews all applications for City Historic Landmark designation, with the Austin City Council making final decisions on these designations. Please note that at least (3) months is typically required to process a City Historic Landmark designation through the City Council from the time a complete application is received. Once designated, all proposed exterior site and building changes (other than routine maintenance) to a historically zoned tract require advance review and approval by the City Historic Landmark Commission. A copy of the Historic Landmark Commission's review standards is available from the City Historic Preservation Office. City Historic Landmark properties that are in good repair and in full compliance with the City historic review requirements are eligible to apply annually for a historic property tax exemption. For information on the historic zoning process, refer to Chapter 25-2 of the City Land Development Code. WHERE TO APPLY: To ensure that the application is complete, an advance review by the City Historic Preservation Office is required. Applications may be submitted at the receptionist’s desk, 5th floor, One Texas Center, 505 Barton Springs Road by appointment. Phone (512) 974-2727 for an appointment. TIME FRAME FOR PROCESSING HISTORIC ZONING CASES: Each historic zoning case is reviewed by the Historic Landmark Commission at a regularly scheduled meeting of the Commission approximately four to six weeks after receipt of application. The Historic Landmark Commission meets once a month, typically on the 4th Monday of each month. The case is then heard by either the Zoning and Platting Commission or the Planning Commission approximately three weeks after the Historic Landmark Commission hearing, and then by the City Council approximately six weeks later. SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTS: Refer to Instructions and Submittal Checklist. Complete Application Forms, supplemental materials, and Affidavits. THE FOLLOWING CITY HISTORIC LANDMARK CRITERIA ARE CONSIDERED WHEN REVIEWING A CITY HISTORIC LANDMARK APPLICATION: The property is at least 50 years old …
ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 610 BAYLOR STREET AUSTIN, TEXAS East (Primary) Elevation Circa 1904-1910 Photo courtesy of Austin History Center PLANS & ELEVATIONS W. 7TH STREET DS ORIGINAL HOUSE DS PORCH 0 5 10 FT TERRACE PARKING COURT NEW GARAGE DECK POOL 1 SITE PLAN Scale: N.T.S 0 10 20 30 40 FT T E E R T S R O L Y A B Elton & Lucy Perry House 610 Baylor, Austin, Texas 78703 Drawing 1 Print Date: 4/7/24 FINIALS RECONSTRUCTED FROM HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS Roof 43' - 0" ROUND DORMERS AND FINIALS RECONSTRUCTED FROM HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS CHIMNEY BRACES RECONSTRUCTED FROM REMNANT AND HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPH Third Floor = 566.29' SECOND FLOOR BALCONY RAIL RECONSTRUCTED FROM HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS Second Floor = 555.71' " 2 / 1 2 - ' 2 3 " 7 - ' 0 1 " 0 - ' 2 1 " 2 / 1 7 - ' 9 First Floor = 543.71' Basement = 534.08' EAST ELEVATION RESTORATION 1 Elton & Lucy Perry House 610 Baylor, Austin, Texas 78703 Print Date: 4/7/24 CLDrawing 2 Third Floor = 566.29' Second Floor = 555.71' 12 3 NORTH ELEVATION RESTORATION 1 Elton & Lucy Perry House 610 Baylor, Austin, Texas 78703 Print Date: 4/8/24 Drawing 3 12 3 12 3 1 A-511 1 SOUTH ELEVATION RESTORATION Scale: N.T.S. Elton & Lucy Perry House 610 Baylor, Austin, Texas 78703 Print Date: 4/7/24 Drawing 4 CL 1 WEST ELEVATION RESTORATION Scale: N.T.S. Elton & Lucy Perry House 610 Baylor, Austin, Texas 78703 Print Date: 4/7/24 Drawing 5 DS DS DS DS DS DS DS BENCH SEAT DS DS 1 THIRD FLOOR PLAN Scale: N.T.S. 0 5 10 15 FT Elton & Lucy Perry House 610 Baylor, Austin, Texas 78703 Drawing 6 Print Date: 4/7/24 DSDS N D UP K N I S DS 1 SECOND FLOOR PLAN Scale: N.T.S. 0 5 10 15 FT DS Elton & Lucy Perry House 610 Baylor, Austin, Texas 78703 Drawing 7 Print Date: 4/7/24 DS DS DS DS K K K K DS P U SCM K K DS DN DS DS K UP DN K K K DS DS DS DS K DS 1 FIRST FLOOR PLAN Scale: N.T.S. 0 5 10 15 FT Elton & Lucy Perry House 610 Baylor, Austin, Texas 78703 Drawing 8 Print Date: 4/7/24 DS DS DS DS DS DS DS TOC 533.75' 1" DS E V O B A …
HISTORIC ZONING APPLICATION ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 610 BAYLOR STREET AUSTIN, TEXAS East (Primary) Elevation Circa 1904-1910 Photo courtesy of Austin History Center PHOTOGRAPHS ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE PHOTOGRAPHS 1. East (Primary) Elevation Circa 1904-1910 Photo courtesy of Austin History Center ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 2. Oblique view of southeast elevation Circa 1904-1910 Photo courtesy of Austin History Center ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 3. View of Howard and Mary Taylor House and Elton & Lucy Perry House Circa 1904-1910 Photo courtesy of Austin History Center ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 4. East (Primary) Elevation Circa March 2011 Google Street view ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 5. Oblique view of southeast corner September 20, 2018 Photo: O’Connell Architecture ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 6. East (Primary) Elevation Ca. 1974 Photo courtesy of Texas Historical Commission ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 7. Howard and Mary Taylor House and Elton & Lucy Perry House January 2017 Google Street View ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 8. East (Primary) Elevation March 2024 Photo courtesy of Ryan Coursey Howard and Mary Taylor House sits north of Elton and Lucy Perry House ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 9. Oblique view of southeast corner March 2024 Photo courtesy of Ryan Coursey ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 10. Oblique view of northwest corner capturing west (back) elevation March 2024 Photo courtesy of Ryan Coursey Garage addition to property currently under construction. Garage is setback 14 feet from Main House. ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 11. North Elevation March 2024 Photo courtesy of Ryan Coursey ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 12. South Elevation March 2024 Photo courtesy of Ryan Coursey ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 13. East (Primary) Elevation March 2024 Photo courtesy of Ryan Coursey ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 14. View of Howard House and Perry House March 2024 Photo courtesy of Ryan Coursey ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 15. Front Porch November 7, 2018 Photo: O’Connell Architecture 16. Front Porch March 2024 Photo courtesy of Ryan Coursey ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 17. Oblique view of northeast corner August 28, 2018 Photo: O’Connell Architecture 18. Oblique view of northeast corner March 2024 Photo courtesy of Ryan Coursey ELTON AND LUCY PERRY HOUSE 19. Window and balcony condition August 23, 2017 Photo: O’Connell Architecture 20. Window and balcony condition – chimney restored on northeast quadrant of roof March 2024 Photo courtesy of Ryan Coursey …
6 – 1 HISTORIC LANDMARK COMMISSION APPLICATION FOR A CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS JANUARY 8, 2025 HR-2024-160980; C14H-2017-0112 DRISKILL HOTEL 604 BRAZOS STREET PROPOSAL Remodel first and second floor entry at 7th Street façade. PROJECT SPECIFICATIONS Renovate the non-original bar and restaurant section of the building by adding interior vestibule space at 7th Street, adjusting the fire egress path for the hotel tower by adding a door at the ground floor. Reclaim covered exterior space on the first and second floors of the 7th Street façade to restore the original square footprint of the tower. Retain the existing restaurant entry and awning, moving the door to align with the new façade. Install new ground-floor storefronts to reflect existing. Restore second-floor massing to pre-1960s original by infilling with windows inspired by historic photographs from the 1930s, matching or reclaiming the existing granite, plaster, and stucco. Implement simplified design language at tower, reflective of original design elements. ARCHITECTURE The scope of work by applicant Clayton Korte defines the architecture of the building as follows, including the non-original portions of the building to be affected by the proposed project: Built in 1886, the Driskill Hotel is a five-story masonry and wood-framed structure designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque Revival style. The Annex, a thirteen-story tower, was added to the hotel in 1930. The original portion of the Driskill has a square footprint, with each of its four corners cut to provide diagonal entrances. A series of gables along the rooflines define the exterior into bays and pavilions. Two small crested gables flank the central gable, and large balconies are located on the second and third floors. The grand facades along the 6th Street and Brazos Street elevations are constructed of pressed brick, limestone, and local granite. These facades feature intricate carvings, arched windows, and large cast iron columns. The openings graduate in size, from large arches at the base (forming an arcade around the building) to smaller round-arched windows at the top floor. Most of the original brick detailing remains intact. The 13-story tower, added in 1930 and designed by the El Paso firm Trost & Trost, is a concrete- framed structure that originally contained 180 guestrooms and a shopping arcade on the ground floor along 7th Street. This tower has a roughly square footprint, divided into five structural bays, which are expressed through the stone and brick detailing on the exterior. The three bays …