15.0 - 907 E 13th St — original pdf
Backup
HISTORIC LANDMARK COMMISSION Applications for Demolition and Relocation Permits December 3, 2025 PR-2025-138065; GF-2025-144692 907 East 13th Street 15 – 1 Proposal Demolish a house constructed between circa 1873 and 1884. Architecture One-story center passage National Folk Style building with horizontal wood siding, a partial width front porch supported by turned posts, a side-gabled roof clad with standing seam metal, and double hung wood windows. While the front door has been replaced, the trim and transom above the window remain. Research The house at 907 E 13th St, originally addressed as 907 E Peach St, was built between 1873 in 1885 by Julius H. Nitschke. Nitschke and his family immigrated from Saxony, Germany in 1855. He and his four brothers owned and operated Nitschke Brothers Cabinetmakers on Congress Ave. Nitschke married Louisa Phillips in 1871. He worked as a carpenter, cabinet maker, and carpet layer until his death in 1910. His son, J.H. Nitschke Jr., also worked as a carpenter and dabbled in car repair and railroad work before becoming a career fireman. He sold 907 E 13th St. to the Goins family between 1912 and 1920. Anna Liza Goins, formerly of Manor, lived in the home until her death in 1956. She worked as a cook and as a laundress while also renting out rooms. Her children and their spouses lived with her intermittently throughout the early 20th century. After her death, her daughter Roxy Tucker lived there until at least the 1960s. The home’s occupancy is emblematic of how the demographics of this East Austin neighborhood changed. European immigrant families, numerous at the turn of the century, gradually migrated elsewhere while African American families were forced to migrate eastwards during the era of segregation. However, all of the building’s occupants were working class people who innovated to support their families and to build communities in the face of inequality and segregation. Property Evaluation The 2016 East Austin survey lists the property as eligible for local landmark listing, individual listing on the National Register of Historic Places, contributing to a potential local historic district, and contributing to a potential National Register district. Designation Criteria—Historic Landmark 1) The building is more than 50 years old. 2) The building appears to retain moderate integrity. The original porch was modified during the period of significance; the provenance of the existing turned posts is unclear. The porch was rehabilitated and incompatible asbestos siding removed in either 1977, 1983, or 1995 per permit history. 3) Properties must meet two criteria for landmark designation (LDC §25-2-352). The building may meet two criteria for landmark designation: a. Architecture. The building is a good example of The National Folk style. b. Historical association. The building is associated with the Nitschke family, German immigrants who owned and operated one of Austin’s first cabinetmaking businesses. The East Austin survey also notes that the building is important for its association with neighborhood development patterns, as its occupants exemplify characteristic demographic changes as the neighborhood transitioned from a majority immigrant European population to a majority African American population during the early and mid- 20th century. c. Archaeology. The property was not evaluated for its potential to yield significant data concerning the human history or prehistory of the region. d. Community value. The property was not evaluated for its ability to possess a unique location, physical characteristic, or significant feature that contributes to the character, image, or cultural identity of the city, the neighborhood, or a particular demographic group. e. Landscape feature. The property is not a significant natural or designed landscape with artistic, aesthetic, cultural, or historical value to the city. 15 – 2 Staff Recommendation Should the Commission find that the building’s historical associations and integrity sufficiently meet the criteria for landmark designation, initiate historic zoning. Otherwise, encourage rehabilitation and adaptive reuse, relocation, or deconstruction and salvage over demolition, but approve the demolition permit application upon completion of a City of Austin Documentation Package. Location Map 15 – 3 Property Information Photos 15 – 4 Texas Historical Commission. [Historic Property, Photograph THC_06-0551], photograph, Date Unknown; (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth671523/m1/1/), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu. 2016 East Austin Historic Resource Survey, HHM Inc. 15 – 5 15 – 6 15 – 7 Demolition permit application, 2025 Google Street View, 2023 15 – 8 15 – 9 https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/907-E-13th-St-Austin-TX-78702/29387470_zpid/, 2019 Occupancy History City Directory Research 1959 1952 1947 1941 1939 1932 1929 1924 1922 Roxey Tucker and O. C. Leslie, owners Mrs. Anna Goins, owner – widow of Cicero Goins James A Howard, renter Roxie Leslie - cook Mrs. Annie L Goins, owner Hariet Bryan, renter – driver John and Eva Southall, renters Wilbur A Walker—printer Annie L Goins, owner Jesse N Green, renter Theodore and Leah Piper--yardman and laundress Annie L Goins, owner—laundress Jesse N Green, renter Leah Piper– laundress Kittie Pollard, renter A L Goins, owner Jesse and Ada Green, renters Theodore and Leah Piper Anna L Goins, owner Toby Goines – Porter, Stebbins & James Jesse Green, renter Leah Piper Annaliza Goins, owner- cook Thomas and Georgia Hammond, renters U S Hammond Beulah Hammond Derotha Hammond Irene Hammond Garfield Butler, renter 1920 Sherman and Myrtle Hoard, renters - laborer 1918 1916 1912 1910 1909 1906 1905 1903 1895 1893 1889 1887 1885 1872 15 – 10 Also addressed as 903 E 13th Sherman and Myrtle Hoard, renters George W and Eva Peterson, renters – postal carrier Jesse Morrow, renter - laborer Julius H Nitschke, owner – carpenter William M Armstrong, renter – driver Martha Pool, renter — widow of ID Pool Wright Thompson, renter Julius H Nitschke, owner – cabinet maker Julius H Nitschke, Jr., renter – carpenter Andrew Scott, renter Miss Cora M Scott, renter Frank Scott, renter - driver James Scott, renter - waiter at Avenue restaurant Julius H Nitschke, owner – carpenter Julius H Nitschke, Jr., renter – car repair J H Nitschke Jr, owner – fireman Lawson Salatiel Julius H Nitschke, owner – cabinet maker Julius H Nitschke, Jr., renter – brakeman, H and TC railroad Julius H Nitschke, owner – Cabinet maker Julius H Nitschke, Jr., renter – carpenter Julius H Nitschke, owner – carpet layer Julius H Nitschke, owner – carpet layer C A Dahlich Julius H Nitschke, owner – Carpenter and carpet layer Address listed as south side of East 13th between East Ave and Navasota Julius H Nitschke, owner – Cabinetmaker Address listed as 907 E Peach St Julius H Nitschke, owner – Cabinetmaker Julius H Nitschke of WL Nitschke Brothers Cabinetmakers (Congress Avenue between Hickory and Bois d’Arc streets) is listed as residing on East Avenue near the Blind Asylum. Brothers OE, CL, and WL Nitschke are listed as living at the southeast corner of Cherry and Sabine streets. Historical Information 1935 Sanborn map 15 – 11 J. H Nitschke, n.d. https://www.ancestrylibrary.com/mediaui-viewer/tree/43787211/person/12705728663/media/74d66eb4- c36e-48af-b6b4-9f8115cff26d Texas, County Marriage Records, 1837-2015; Louisa Phillips and JH Nitschke, 12 Sep 1871. Ancestry.com Austin American-Statesman, 19 Nov 1902, via https://www.ancestrylibrary.com/mediaui- viewer/collection/1030/tree/43787211/person/12705728663/media/6da03d33-1595-4e7c-89a3- a5b28b2a8da6?galleryindex=5&sort=-created 15 – 12 Austin Daily Statesman (Austin, Tex.), Vol. 32, Ed. 1 Monday, September 8, 1902. The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu. The Austin Statesman (Austin, Tex.), Vol. 41, No. 270, Ed. 1, p.3, Tuesday, September 27, 1910, 3, September 27, 1910. University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu Oakwood Cemetery Plot: Sec 4, Lot 852. Photo: 2012, https://www.ancestrylibrary.com/mediaui- viewer/collection/1030/tree/43787211/person/12705728663/media/0812842d-2c84-4290-bda9- 0083997f4171?galleryindex=4&sort=-created The Austin Statesman (1902-1915); Austin, Tex.. 30 Mar 1912: 2. Galveston Tribune. (Galveston, Tex.), Vol. 24, No. 155, Ed. 1 Wednesday, May 25, 1904 Page: 2. https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth1213333/m1/2/ 15 – 13 15 – 14 Travis County (Tex.). Clerk's Office. Travis County Deed Records: Deed Record 327, book, 1920-11/1921-03, pp 220-224; University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; The Austin American (1914-1973); Austin, Tex.. 22 May 1927: 8. The Austin Statesman (1921-1973); Austin, Tex.. 30 Oct 1929: 12. 15 – 15 Death certificate for Mrs. Anna Goins, 1956 Permits The Austin Statesman (1921-1973); Austin, Tex.. 10 Jan 1961: 15. The Austin Statesman (1921-1973); Austin, Tex.. 11 Jan 1961: 19. 15 – 16 s